Theories abound concerning the actual cause of death of actress Brittany Murphy. On December 20, 2009, she fell to the floor of the bathroom in the home that she shared with her husband Simon Monjack, a British screenwriter. Firefighters who arrived on the scene attempted to resuscitate her. She was pronounced dead on arrival at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Assistant chief coroner of Los Angeles, Ed Winter, told the Associated Press, “It appears to be natural.”
The day after she died, an autopsy was carried out and the official cause of death was listed as “deferred.” On February 4, 2010, the Los Angeles County coroner stated that Murphy’s death was primarily caused by pneumonia, with secondary factors being iron-deficiency anemia and multiple drug intoxication. On February 25, 2010, the coroner released a statement that Brittany had been taking multiple over-the-counter and prescription medications, most likely to treat a cold. The drugs were all legal, but the report stated “the possible adverse physiological effects of elevated levels of these medications cannot be discounted, especially in her weakened state.”
A few years preceding her death, Brittany shed a great deal of weight, which led to rumors of cocaine addiction and an eating disorder. She claimed to have never tried cocaine in her entire life. Also, Brittany’s friends made no secret of their concern that she may have become addicted to Vicodin following plastic surgery.
Five months after Brittany’s death, her husband was found dead at the same house they shared in the Hollywood Hills. His death, according to Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter, was acute pneumonia and severe anemia. However, the LA County Department of Health had suspected toxic mold in their house as a potential cause of both deaths. In December 2011, Brittany’s mother ascertained that toxic mold killed both her daughter and son-in-law and filed a lawsuit against the builders of their home. It is rather odd that two people died of respiratory illness in the same house within a few months of each other.
To this day, there is no definitive cause of Brittany’s death identified and the mystery surrounding her death continues: was it due to natural causes, prescription drugs, illicit drug addiction, an eating disorder, toxic mold, or a combination of causes?
Brittany Murphy. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_Murphy.
Dillon N, Kolodner M. ‘Clueless’ actress Brittany Murphy dies after collapsing in shower; death ‘appears to be natural.’ NY Daily News. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-12-20/gossip/17942106_1_clueless-tmz-plastic-surgery.
Weber C. Brittany Murphy dead: dies at just 32. Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/20/brittany-murphy-dead-dies_n_398576.html.
Bluezgirl40 07:09am, 11/13/2013
I’m not saying this is it for sure but this case bears a striking resemblance to a case where a family visiting another warm Latin country (which Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack had returned from a similar climate prior to their deaths) ingested toxins from improperly glazed pottery. This toxic exposure caused SEVERE ANEMIA. And severe anemia makes your body an easy target for pnuemonia and other infections. Something to consider.
kny1 03:50pm, 10/18/2013
Two young people dying of pneumonia in the same home; sounds like legionaire’s disase
M. 06:20pm, 09/11/2013
None of you were there. You don’t know how she lived life, you don’t know if she was doing drugs, or if she had an eating disorder. You don’t know anything about what happened. Nobody really does. Where do you all come off saying she was ‘maniac’ ‘hyped up 24/7’? It could’ve been drugs,mental illness, physical illness, toxic mold or a mix of the 4. You can do all the research you want, but that doesn’t mean you know what happened. Don’t act like you’re Jesus and you know exactly how they died and that it was all so obvious. She’s gone. Nobody knows exaxtly why. She was a beautiful person and her death was a tragedy. The only people that know are her and her husband. And I don’t think they’ll be sharing the information anytime soon. Unless you’re the coroner that did the autopsy don’t act like you know.
Michael 06:15am, 07/29/2013
I thought she was a great actress, and seemed like a lovely person, I was just sorry to hear that she had died at such a young age !!
Jesica30 07:35pm, 07/16/2013
If it was toxic mold how come her parents who ALSO lived in the house didn’t die from it????- It was failure to take care of herself and a lethal combo of rx drugs that killed her
Miss Red 10:34pm, 07/10/2013
I think it was the mold in her house. I think this because she was so use to taking drugs and eating very little, that was her lifestyle. The house killed her and her husband.
email@example.com 09:59pm, 07/05/2013
Brittany’s death is FARSICAL to us niave outsiders. Enlighten us as to how she was ultimately responsible for it.
simpletruth 09:46am, 07/05/2013
Obviously the pneumonia one gets from vicodin combined with the pneumonia that one gets from toxic mold, combined with a weakened system from an eating disorder, combined with dangerous side-effects of Botox is what killed them. It usually takes not one thing but a combo of things to get you…
Corrine g. Henderson 03:41am, 06/25/2013
Add your comments LIVE AND LET LIVE, stop judging
Corrine g. Henderson 03:34am, 06/25/2013
She as well as her husband are both gone whatever the reason. Let’s just live are lives setting an example instead of judging. I am gonna live, love & laugh 2 the end
narrelle chain 11:11pm, 06/17/2013
She was an untreated addict or alcoholic or both; she was so hyped up in her roles
;she looked sick; probably cocaine or something like that she seemed manic 24/7
J.R. 11:44am, 05/28/2013
pneumonia was ruled the cause of death with drugs as a secondary contributing factor. Mold was never ruled out however mold typically is only fatal to immunocompromised individuals (e.g. the very young and elderly) and causes respiratory problems for adults with pneumonia being one possible complication.
Brad 10:32pm, 05/25/2013
. It wasn’t drugs it was mold. Mold can kill you in months.
HOLLY 10:41pm, 05/23/2013
how obvious does it need to be. Both were way too young to die naturally and if both had pneumonia process of same factor is the house. Mold would very easily be a common denominator for this young couple who died within months of each other…next question, is anemia something that can be subsequent to pneumonia and/or mold?
Sarah mcintyre 08:30am, 04/12/2013
Addiction is a disease, it’s hard to overcome. Im a believer in a 12 step programme. As a recovering addict myself
Jacquelin 05:56am, 04/05/2013
I believe is BOTOX, the symtom is so similar.
bj 09:32pm, 03/25/2013
I think it is sad when people assume the worst.
rose 06:22pm, 03/24/2013
thats so sad
Wkendall@mac.com 01:14pm, 01/22/2013
Get a new coroner.
Dr F 10:07am, 12/04/2012
it’s always OD & subsequent respiratory failure in these young foolish adults
laportama 08:51am, 12/04/2012
Addicts who use —like alcoholics who drink —don’t do well.
What Killed 'Em
Profiles in Rare Diseases
Most Popular Articles
The Knockout Game: A Cheap Thrill That’s Becoming Deadly
It’s Just Turkey to Me
Molly and Her Makers
Vampires: Out of the Coffin
Texting and Driving: A Manual Perspective
Be Careful of What You Eat: Government Shutdown Forces FDA Inspectors to Go on Furlough